Friday 17 February 2012

Arrival of a Golf Professional


Golf in India is still a very ‘new’ sport. Not many people can afford to play it and even less have access to clubs where they can play. Yet it is also one of the fastest growing sports in the country. Currently India has close to 200 golf courses, for an average golfing population (the top 3% in the country) of 30 million and growing. Therefore in the next few years a further 1000 golf courses need to be created to adequately serve this growing golfing population.  India faces a problem of too few golf courses where as other countries like the US are experiencing the opposite scenario. 

This is the arena I find myself in. Because golf is such a new sport in India, there is a dearth of golf professionals. The usual definition of a 'golf professional' extends to one who can play the game well, or who can teach the game. However, there is a broader definition which encompasses the management and promotion of the sport. This is interestingly what I have studied in the PGA Golf Management Program at the University of Colorado at Colorado Springs USA. This course provides a comprehensive view of the industry, in areas like golf range management, golf car fleet management, tournament operations, swing analysis, rules, teaching, food and beverage, turf grass management. It is a four year degree from the College of Business at the university, and is affiliated to the PGA of America.

Currently, in India, when one wants to create a golf course the first step is to hire an individual; preferably a foreigner; who will provide the know-how to design the course. However, their focus is most likely from a foreign perspective and in some cases will not take into account the realities of India. Also some of these designers do not come to India, because doing business here is a challenge, and without the right people it can be a very complex system to navigate. The need is to develop professionals, who are well rounded in the knowledge of the game and also bring an Indian perspective.

Golf has been my passion since I was in high school, and I am excited and humbled by the fact that I am now part of this industry. For now I intend to understand the Indian golf industry, learn what the ground realities, the challenges faced by players and courses, and where the opportunities lie. This is a long and exciting journey in front of me, and I have a lot to learn.  I hope at the end of the day, in my own way I can make a small difference to the sport I really love. 

1 comment:

  1. Your excitement is infectious...! I hope your journey will bring experiences for growth and enable you to contribute to golf in India.
    Fore...!

    ReplyDelete